Well, last night, my husband got Kenidi fed and down for the night before the scouts even left my house! It was a good thing I had pumped a bottle a couple of days ago and he was able to get her down.... she was beside herself last night.... (something has to change with my scout schedule... can't keep doing this every week)! Anyway.... Because she was down, I was able to go to the meeting. The topic was 7 Small and Simple Steps. I am sure that almost everyone could list what all of the steps are without even sitting in the class.... basic primary answers.
1. Study the scriptures personally every day
2. Study the scriptures every day as a family
3. Have personal prayer every morning and night
4. Have family prayer every morning and night
5. Attend church every Sunday as a family
6. Hold family home evening every Monday night
7. Attend the temple every month
I don't know about you, but I don't do real great on a lot of these! It was so nice to go and listen to the comments that the other sisters in the ward made. I now know that I am not the only one that feels like a total failure in many areas of my life.
I have never been a real scripture reader. I really struggle with the scriptures and am one that finds them very boring and gory. I know that needs to change. James and I were really good at reading every night, but then Brooklyn has started putting up a fight going to bed and it takes us most of the night just to get her down. By the time she finally goes down, neither of us want to spend that little bit of time before bed reading the scriptures.
I am awful at personal prayers but we do pretty good praying as a family... but there is always room for improvement.
Going to church has always been easy... but I have found my desire dwindling since having 2 kids and 1:00 church! There is nothing more torturous than little kids with 1:00 church!!! I don't think I need to say more on that... if you have little kids, you definitely understand.
FHE is something that I didn't grow up with, so it was something new to me when I got married. We did really good with this for a while, but lately, it simply hasn't been happening.
And the temple. I used to go every week... but since having kiddos, I have maybe made it twice! I really need to go more.
How do you as a busy mom or a busy person fit all of this into your day? Do you get up at 5:30 every morning to make sure you fit it in, or are you like me and still trying to figure out the best way to squeeze it in? One of the funniest comments made yesterday but I might actually implement, was to take your Book of Mormon into the bathroom with you and get some reading in there :) Totally laughed at that but with my life, I think it might just work.... I hate to say it, but their nap time would be a good time but I love that time to get things done around my house or get some projects done.... (and that is only if I can get them to go down at the same time).
I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter and how you do it!
3 comments:
Don't be so hard on yourself! You are doing better than me! Haha. The kids & I say bedtime prayers about 1/2 the time and dinner prayer 1/2 the time. Never have done FHE but want to. I honestly don't remember to do it! It has never been in my daily schedule, so I don't ever think about it. And scripture study......I don't like reading either. It gets boring and confusing. Lol. Earlier this year I was trying to get the Book of Mormon read (which didn't happen) but I would read when I took a bath. Do you take baths?? It was the only time I could get in a quiet place to read w/o kids inturrupting all the time. So it is a thought.....if you are a bath taker! Good luck!
Long comment commencing!!!
Have I told you lately that I love you?!?! The answer is no but the truth is...I LOVE YOU!!! Totally refreshing to hear someone be so honest about their life, thank you! Even though I can't totally relate yet to the hectic mother schedule, I can relate to a hectic work and non-mother schedule. Here is what works for me and it may not for you BUT here it is nonetheless.
You know scripture reading wasn't a part of my growing up so it was a HUGE-O adjustment to start implementing it into my life and to like it/want to do it. I've finally discovered the following:
I like to read in the morning right after I wake up. I sit at my desk with a glass of juice or chocolate milk and read. I use the big "Book of Mormon for Latter-Day Saint Families" that has pictures and quotes and definitions. I have a notebook that is only used for documenting things I learn when reading and thoughts I have. I don't necessarily write in there every day but I always have it next to me. I don't force myself to read a certain amount of verses or for a specific amount of time, just let each day present whatever I can squeeze in before I strap on my work shoes and head out the door.
I have to say it has worked sooooo well for my little life. This is the first month (gasp I know) in all of my life that I can truthfully say that scripture study has become a routine part for my day. Sure I have missed a couple days of the 30 BUT to go from never really reading the scriptures, to having it be as common as brushing my teeth makes me so excited! I'm only still in 1 Nephi but I don't even care! I'm learning so much more than I thought possible and am actually loving the scriptures as horrible as that may sound!
Now I can't help you as much on the other 6 steps but hey at least I have semi-mastered 1!
Love you lots and lots and hope that helped :)
That comment was even longer looking once it published, gotta love me!
Post a Comment