Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pride & those dang things called cars

I don't consider myself a prideful person, but something has come up that makes me realize I do have some in there. In case you don't know already, I just gave birth to my 3rd little princess in less than 3 years! So what does that mean? 3 carseats & a little, tiny Acura = they simply don't fit! We literally cannot leave the house all together. My parent's have an extra car that we call "The Blue Beast". It is an older Suburban that is used to haul things & we have borrowed it, but the AC is out in it & I can't haul my 3 little girls around in good conscience in a 100 degree vehicle.

We desperately need to get a vehicle that we can all fit in. We have wanted to get a Tahoe or Suburban but need to pay cash for it. But something we have realized is how stinkin expensive the gas is on something like that! In the back of my mind I keep thinking that we could get a (gulp) Mini Van! This is where my pride kicks in.... I have always swore I would NEVER drive a mini van. I don't know if I can let myself cave on this one & be that "mini van driving soccer mom";). (Yes I do know that many of you drive these :). But I do have a psychological thing with the mini van & I don't know if I can let go of it. Am I being retarded? I know I'm not the only one that has had these thoughts.... I have heard them from others.

We need to figure something out though, I can't take this not being able to leave the house stuff anymore. Not to mention that our yard is still ripped up with big trenches in them & we can't go outside to play either.... Definitely feeling trapped & need ways to entertain my girls!

5 comments:

Derek and Sheena said...

Hahaha! I don't know if I could drive a mini van either!! :-) Tahoes definantly do use alot of gas. It is a hard decision. Maybe buy a mini van and when you get to making some $ doing your nursery stuff, you could buy a tahoe?? Or...buy a tahoe...and don't drive it alot. Haha. I don't know Lindsi. Good luck!

p.s. Would James even drive a mini van?? Derek said he never would....so I don't think I will ever get one. Lol.

The Blairs said...

Ryan always said he would never drive a mini van either, but he does, and he loves it. I love ours too. We got it when we only had 2 kids and all the room was so nice.

Now, our van is full and we are contemplating what next. Dare I say a 12 passenger van? Ryan still hasn't agreed to that one :)

I'd have to say the nicest advantage I see with a van is the sliding doors. I never have to worry about my kids slinging open a door and dinging someone else's car. Also, the gas mileage is a lot better.

Michelle said...

I hear lots of good things about minivans but I just can't do it either. How do you feel about a crossover with a third row? They sell lots of them with bucket seats now, or you could buy an older one (with cash) and maybe replace the bench with buckets. Then you get the the minivan convenience without sacrificing your pride... it's worth looking into.

Rachel said...

I NEVER wanted a van, I always thought I was more the SUV type of person, but after renting a van when we had family come visit us (so we could all fit in the same vehicle) I fell in LOVE! Needless to say our next car was a van. We have a Honda Odyssey and love it. The extra space is so nice, and the new ones seat 8 people. Plus they are less expensive to buy than an SUV and gas is more affordable. It's worth at least test driving one to see what you think. I totally understand the never wanting to be the stereotypical soccer mom, but I guess sometimes you do what you have to to make things work. Good luck and congrats on the new baby!

The Caple Crew said...

We are not mini van lovers either! Funny thing though, my husband's work vehicle is....a MINIVAN! It's quite humorous watching a big manly guy driving a minivan around....especially without kids!
I drive an Armada, known gas guzzler, but really being a stay at home mom with a newborn like you I really don't leave the house too much (plus I live at least 20 minutes away from anything worth going to) so really I'm not paying for that much gas.