Friday, November 4, 2011

Thoughtful of Others

I just need to take a moment and get some thoughts down. This is something that I have been thinking a lot about this week & I just need to share them.

I am the first to admit that I am terrible about getting a card or gift out or going out of my way for people on their special days; birthdays, Christmas, Anniversary, wedding, having a baby and even getting Thank You cards out. I'm not just terrible, I may just win the award for being THE WORST! This past year, I wrote off all special occasions and holidays. We have been on survival mode the past year in more ways than one. We have had many changes and I just didn't feel like I could think about others on top of taking care of my family and our little lives.

Well, something happened this past week that really hit me and hit me hard..... My little brother got married! My cute, sweet little brother that I absolutely love and adore. I was so consumed & stressed (for weeks.. literally) with trying to find someone to watch my girls during the ceremony, finding clothes that would fit me, making sure my girls were dressed and ready for the reception.... (really important things) that I didn't get a card made & put together like I wanted. Oh well, I thought, I just couldn't get it together.... This is baby brother & I couldn't get a card put together! Then we were at the wedding and reception & it hit me like bricks that NO ONE got stuff to decorate their car and do something fun like that.... he has 7 siblings..... I was feeling HORRIBLE by the end of the wedding. Hardly anybody came to the wedding to celebrate with them in comparison to who they invited. Pretty much no one gave cards, money, gifts,.... almost NOTHING. People that are close to him.... his own best friend! My heart has been breaking over this. It's not the material things, but knowing that people care about you enough to go out of their way to think of you & do something for you. He is sad about it and I completely understand the feeling. When I got pregnant with Brooklyn, I had multiple showers, people were SO generous... I felt so blessed! Then I had her.... pretty much no one came over to see her/us..... then I had Kenidi, again pretty much no one...... then I had Payton.... NO ONE! My mom came to the hospital when James went and watched the girls, but not a single soul came to the hospital and then just his mom came out to help for a few days...... You feel like NOBODY cares about you.

But like I said, I am the first to admit that I am terrible at this stuff and it has been a real eye opener! His best friend didn't even go, but my brother-in-laws parents from Idaho drove 3-4 hours to celebrate with him and then drove back home that night. That says A LOT! I want to change my ways! I want to be one of those people that makes other people feel special, that they are important and that they matter. My in-laws are all great about this, sending cards for small things like anniversaries..... I know life gets so busy to where it is difficult to look outside of yourself and family, but I hope that everyone out there can look at others differently.... this has made me feel very differently about the way I look at special occasions and holidays for other people. It is a change I am willing to make and now! I am approaching these holidays different than I have in the past. I really want to think about those people that are really important to me and really put thought into what I am getting/making them. I want them to know that they are important and that they matter.

It breaks my heart that that is something that can never be taken back for my brother and his wife.... they will always feel that they weren't important enough for people to come out and celebrate with them on their special day..... I will forever look at it differently and make more of an effort for those special occasions... I hope everyone else will too!

2 comments:

Derek and Sheena said...

You definantly gave me something to think about. :-) I am totally suprised that hardly anyone went to their wedding. I thought it sounded like fun! I definantly would have went if I didn't already have plans. Hopefully they can remember the beautiful day they got married.....and not how many people didn't come. Thanks for posting this Lins.....

Jennifer said...

Wow Lindsi, this is beautiful. I didn't know you wrote this. It means a lot. The people that matter most made it and I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. I'm glad you and your family were there. But it really opened Doug and I's eyes too. Thanks for your beautiful words. I couldn't ask for better sister in-laws! :)