Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Talents

This is something that has been on my mind lately for a number of reasons. A friend of mine did a post reccently about feeling mediocre & not feeling real talented as well as a situation in our life that I have not shared (even I don 't share everything that is going on in my life) that has really made me think about this topic.... Even my husband has really been thinking about this.

I posted this question to my husband last night, "Would you rather have 1 talent that you excel at and are one of the very best or would you rather have multiple talents that you are good at but you aren't the best in any one of them?". His first response was to have multiple as to be a well rounded person but then he stopped himself & said that most people who are really successful & wealthy are ones who have 1 that they really excel at and are the best. These are exactly my thoughts & it kind of frustrates me a bit because I am one of those people that are blessed with multiple talents but don't excel in any specific one.

For the past 3 years, I have wanted to get something started. A small business from home that I can do with my girls. I first wanted to paint murals & make this my full time business, I got postcards designed & mailed out, spent time & money getting it together & then I found out I was pregnant for the first time. It is VERY difficult to paint when pregnant, nauseaus and have an aching body. I know I'm not the best artist but I felt it was a talent that I could really do something with.... Biggest problem, everyone in Utah wants a Mural for their kids but nobody is willing to pay for it! It is a piece of art & it is very time consuming. SO many layers go into creating a mural & people can 't see the work that goes into it.

When I got pregnant with Kenidi I had started my design blog. I originally started it just to show friends & family what I was doing with my house & give some tips.... I had NEVER heard of a blog like this (yes I live under a rock)... I got a little down because I thought Zi had such an original idea, but then I found out that people actually made money doing design blogs! Well that thought was short lived because I had ZERO time to work on my house & post anything after Kenidi was born.

Then I had an Awesome idea to start a small Nursery Design business that I could really work on after my girls went to bed. I spent MONTHS getting this business together, got product made, drawings rendered together, etsy shop setup, name & logos worked on, etc. A lot of work was being put in to getting this business going & I found out once again I was pregnant & sick ALL.DAY.LONG... That whole thing came to a halt!

I know I'm not the best Interior Designer out there, but I felt that with the blog I could offer a lot of inexpensive ideas along with great tips. With the Nursery Design business, I felt I had a great product to offer but mostly that I could create room renderings to help people see some of these ideas.... Multiple talents but nothing really excelled in.

Cooking. This is a talent I have developed in the past few years but am not sure what I can do with it outside of my family....

I want to excel in something but every time I try, I feel I am beat down. Like God won't let me pursue anything to make money or something... I don't know! This is me rambling & complaining a bit.

But I am curious what all of you think, would you rather excel in 1 area or would you prefer yo have multiple talents but maybe not be real great at any 1 thing?

1 comment:

Amy said...

just a quick thought, after reading the post. Developing talents is great, and I am so impressed with all you have done to improve talents and get better at them. I don't think you necessarily have to do something grand with a talent. You mentioned that you have become a better cook. Your family will LOVE that you are a great cook, and you don't have to take it anywhere else, necessarily. I used to think this way and it drove me crazy. I think it is important to be content to keep some talents to your family and you and not share with everyone. Some are just less visible. This has also been on my mind a ton lately. It's an interesting thing to think about